Book review: New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding

New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding - American Academy of Pediatrics

This book was a random find a thrift store, and being the curious young woman that I am, interested in motherhood and the possibility of my own family someday, I decided to pick it up and read. I've never been pregnant, nor do I plan to be a mother any time soon, but I might as well educate myself while I have the time. I didn't have the slightest clues about breastfeeding before reading this book...

My own family has been discrete in their choices about breastfeeding- I do not know how my mother feels about length of time children should be breastfed, and I've never heard a peep from my father about breastfed children. The only reference I have is that when my mother was nursing my youngest brother she often visited the local Le Leche league if she was having troubles. Even has a mother of 4 previous children, she still had trouble the fifth time around. That information, coupled with the books main point - that breastfeeding is a learned process for both the mother and child - has made me empathize for the frustration that new mothers must feel.

After reading I actually felt a small yearning to experience the bond between mother and child, but also felt the responsibility of children is something too great for me at this point in my life. What a great eye opener- to appreciate but not want.

The book seems to cover all the basics- comfort, discomfort, technique, support, problems, returning to work, spousal support, etc. I can't say that this book helped me as a new mother, but as an otherwise previously uneducated consumer, I have definitely learned from it. Would I recommend it? Sure, if you are interested in the logistics of breastfeeding, are an expecting parent, or just want to educate yourself in a subject you might not be exposed to otherwise.

Comments

Popular Posts