Late nights.

Keeping myself up into the wee hours of the morning is always a bit of fun and tonight I spent my time watching Law & Order (hotel=TV), knitting, and reading a book titled The Color of Water-- A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother. Since leaving Utah and finishing 3 Cups of Tea (a book I recommend) I have pursued no intellectual endeavors and feel the need to dig into a few good books and I look forward to being in a college town where I might purchase a few used textbooks to lug along with me in the journey. Perhaps losing over half my belongings was fate. It freed up much-needed space!

Life after AmeriCorps, a plan of action I need to work on ASAP, is overwhelming. I've thought a lot about what I'd like to do and where I should direct my efforts and I still think If I never give up on doing good I should end up in ok shape. I am still fascinated with people, our interactions, our lives, and since joining AmeriCorps my interests have been piqued (once again) in the workings of our society. Plans always change and while becoming a midwife is appealing I think I could have a more positive life experience if I were to pursue social work, education, or something along those lines. Maybe thrown in some foster care if my situation 5 or 10 years down the road allows for it? I dread coming back to Utah; it seems dull compared to life elsewhere. My education, however, is important, and I think is the next step after AmeriCorps.

My mind is bouncing off the walls of this dimly-lit hotel room but before I forget I want to thank my family for their support. It's wonderful to know y'all are keeping up on my life and even better to remember that I am lucky. Thank you for teaching me, allowing me to explore, and being the best example of love I have known. Mom, Dad, bros & sis, cousins, aunts, uncles, g-ma & g-pas.

I'm tired. Nearly 3 am and I had so much more to write. I'll try and get it in tomorrow night... I have no idea when I will next have reliable internet access. We won't even get cell phone service at the Boy Scout camp where we will be living!

Comments

  1. 3 am! Thats what time I went to bed last night! I hate when I can't sleep! Keep up the amazing work- I think you have high plans and your life is going to be wonderful no matter what you do!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts