Camping

Life is good to me, and I say this mostly because I wake up every morning in an open meadow to sunshine, birds and beautiful trees surrounding me. Each night before bed my friends and I philosophize the meaning of life around a fire. We commune with each other, dining on the best of foods a fire, dutch oven, and happy hands can offer; on the nights our hands are tired, we dine on words.

Heading back to the canyon was an easy decision financially since I am out of work and hope to save what little money I do have. Mentally though, I struggled with the thought of being transient again and hopping from place to place to place. I'm sure this would be hard without the network of support I have from friends and family, but honestly, I prefer this over conventional living. Spending my nights with a minimum of 5 people (often more) reminds me that community creates the bonds on which I thrive. The collective energy feeds my heart and mind. Laughter is contagious and opportunities abound to practice friendship.

Check it! One night for dinner we had a superb peanut curry/stew. There is no official recipe since I don't often us such things... but it went something like this:
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 serrano peppers, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic (no joke)
  • yellow curry powder, enough to make you happy (few tbsps?)
  • ~ 2 tsp cumin seeds
  • ~ 1 tbsp all purpose seasoning
  • cinnamon, shake shake shake
  • Pork (optional), small pieces
  • 3/4 head cauliflower, crumbled
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • 5 russett potatoes, chopped
Fry that all together in the dutch oven over some hot coals. Once the meat is seared and spices are fragrant, add:
  • 2 cans coconut milk
  • ~1 cup peanuts
  • ~1.5 cups peanut butter
  • ~1 can tamarind nectar
Cook 'til done, serve with rice (also cooked over the fire in a massive aluminum can).

Other meals include goulash, hearty tomato soup, tinfoil dinners, and the most traditional camping food-- roasted hot dogs.

Tinfoil face:

From summatime


Ok, time to run. PS. Carson is teaching me to climb.

From summatime

Comments

  1. i want in. i guess i better hurry up and get to logan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts