Seattle style.

What is Seattle to me now that I have relocated, unpacked, reunited with my lover, and am getting to know my neighborhood (Lower Queen Anne)?

Seattle means the following to me, one week into my new life:
  • Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt. I had no idea fro-yo in my favorite flavor existed! Namesake desserts with less cream, the best.
  • Living 6 feet from the apartment complex garbage and recycling dumpsters signals true city living. 3 AM and the bums are rustling through to make their 25 cents. 6 AM and the garbage trucks roll in and rattle out.

  • Hills. Steep, unforgiving, brutal hills. Nobody told me this! Last Wednesday Carson and I attempted to bicycle up to Queen Anne for the farmers' market. About 6 or so blocks into a strenuous 8 block stretch I had to get off and walk. 20% grade on the counterbalance, I will conquer you within two weeks!

  • Seattle signifies good food right now. Because we're both relaxing without jobs for a moment, we've been frying onions, baking breads, and probably eating too much. Expect food blog entries soon with recipes. Sneak Peek: Vegetarian Eggplant Mushroom Stroganoff vs. Sweet Potato Lentil Curry
  • Night life. In the city there's always something affordable to do! Last night we attended a hilariously evil play titled Penguins: Heaven the Hard Way. It was smutty, located in a crowded hole-in-the-wall theater, and was a mere $5 per ticket. Perfect! Did I mention there is a movie theater, two grocery stores, multiple performing arts venues and restaurants galore within mere blocks of our apartment?
Seattle is fun and I look forward to exploring. This past week has been relaxing, beautiful and mellow, though it's about to change with my upcoming AmeriCorps VISTA trainings. New life, I'm here and happy!

Comments

  1. Glad to hear you are doing good in Seattle! I need to make a road trip up there to see the city!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're loving Seattle, we had fun there when we visited last year. We drove through Perry Point and Bridgeport (twice) this weekend and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts