Put me out to pasture... I've moved to the farm!

Crossing cyber hemispheres here and re-posting what's already been excitedly declared on facebook. I've made it! I landed! I've officially left Seattle and relocated to Poulsbo, WA and arrived "home" to this view from my kitchen table.
Literally, it's a deep breath of fresh air and a much desired and needed change from my old day-to-day routine. On my way in this afternoon I met the neighbor girls (one about my age, the other a fair bit younger) while they were out riding horses. They were really nice and invited me to join them sometime. I'm happy to be here and can't wait to get settled, fill my days with work, learning, vegetables, high tunnels, apple trees, manure for compost, chickens, eggs, kids and a playful golden retriever. I am happy here. This place is a home with a life that people have built. It feels right.

Some of the things I'm looking forward to most (excluding the learning aspects of the actual farm internship, those will come later/soon):
  •  Living in a small town again.
    • There's something special about seeing familiar faces in familiar places. I'll be at the Poulsbo Farmer's Market this weekend for my first market day-- how exciting! I've always envied the ladies with vibrant veggies and sun-kissed cheeks (the only way to get 'em in the Pacific Northwest is spending lots of time outside).
    • I plan to seek out every vendor selling lamb at the farmers markets (plus the people with herds I see) and make a list of their sheep breeds. I want to compile a list of fiber producers within a certain radius of my home base and make an effort to use their goods in my spinning and knitting, and promote the use of their products in the greater community. See the original Fibershed project spearheaded by Rebecca Burgess, and the newly announced Olympic Fibershed. These are a couple of tools to start toying with! The WSU Farm Finder and the Washington State Sheep Producers member directory.
  • Being closer to wild lands. I aim to forage, fish (or at least seek out shellfish-- clams, oysters, mussels, etc), and frolic in the woods. I want to find flowers and berries and mushrooms. I want to ride my bike to nearby beaches and admire the vast water and land.
  • Riding a ferry to see my loved ones on the other side of the water. Today I was lulled to sleep by the rocking of the boat, sun shining on my face and the sound of waves lapping at the hull.
  •  Cooking more. Just eliminating the commute (I only have to walk outside to get to work) gives me time to prepare 2 wholesome meals a day. Lunch will mean walking inside for a cheese and pickle sandwich (or leftovers). 
  • Feeling inspired and able to dream.
Things I will most about the city and my life there:
  • My knitting group. Those ladies are the best.
  • My work friends. Those ladies (and gents) are the best. It was kind of nice seeing my boyfriend so frequently.
  • The claw foot bathtub and window above it. This may seem ridiculous but if you really know me then you know that I spend a *lot* of time in the tub. It's my safe space, my haven for rest, and I loved having open space, the classic design with it's perfectly angled back that facilitated hours, literally hours at a time, of reading, knitting and meditation. It was also ideal for washing wool.
  • My kitty. I think he's happy with my sister.
  • Restaurants. Love it and hate it, but food is sooo delicious. There were at least 7 Thai restaurants within a twenty minute walk of my apartment. I expect that having a job where I'm physically active and eating more wholesome food will have marked effect on my mood, body shape, and overall well-being.
It's going to be a good year.

PS. When I moved I realized that I have hobbies that take a lot of space. Please don't ask me to count the number of canning jars I have-- it will only serve to shock you and overwhelm me. At last count I was at 136... and do NOT consider the idea that I stayed anywhere near that number. That was 2.5 years ago.

Comments

  1. I'm so happy for you! You have so many wonderful adventures, but this one really seems to take you back to your home roots. I can't wait to hear all about your farm life. Wishing the best!
    Love, Amanda (oh I accidentally posted above under Jesse's account, oops)

    ReplyDelete
  2. go go farmgirl go. couldn't be prouder. and you know us knitters will make a trip out there to see you. i was actually just dreaming about doing another hike along hurricane ridge. you'd be on my way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts