Recipe: Wilted Lettuce Salad with Bacon and Chevre

I woke up early this morning with a stomach growling to be fed and when I opened the refrigerator I saw my leftovers from market yesterday: Little Gem Romaine Lettuce! I love salad for breakfast and knew something was in the mix when I remembered the nice customer at the Poulsbo Farmers Market yesterday who told me to make this.



Wilted Lettuce Salad with Bacon and Chevre

1 small head lettuce
3- 6 strips bacon (depending how much meat you want and how many people are being fed)
1 large shallot
1/4 c red wine vinegar
chevre or blue cheese to taste
salt and pepper to taste


Remove the lettuce leaves from the stalk, leaving them intact. Wash and dry in your salad spinner (best kitchen investment, use it every day!).

Peel and chop shallot as preferred. Fry bacon on medium heat, and when half-cooked add shallot to the pan. Add extra oil if your bacon is lean. Once this is completely cooked and pan is still on a heated stovetop, add vinegar to deglaze the delicious drippings. After ~ 10 seconds, add lettuce leaves to the pan and stire around for ~ 20 to 30 seconds, just long enough to wilt.

Arrange on a plate, serve with your favorite cheese and a side of fruit or bread if desired.  Yum!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts