Gratitude

Sometimes it's important for me to pause.

I have food, and I'll be able to get food if I need it. This means I don't know true hunger and I'm thankful.

I have family. When I'm lonely, excited, goofy, confused, happy, have unanswered questions, or want feedback, my family is there.

I have love. Friends that care, parents that are involved even though they live 700 miles. People in my life that give honest affection, will join me on a simple walk or for tea, and sometimes tell me what I don't want to hear. That last bit can be hard but I really appreciate it.

Dogs. They're awesome.

Hobbies turned skills that are ever growing. Capable hands, how lucky!

Employment. By no means extravagant, but I'm relatively stable and this is good.

Knowledge, and access to education.

Sensory experiences. Last month I could smell the sweet flowers lining the streets of Portland. I can admire the faded colors of a vintage textile. I taste the sweet tartness of lemon juice on my salad and the smooth flavor of olive oil on my popcorn. I feel the soft fibers in the garment I'm knitting, and feel peace when a hand is rested on my back.

I have relatively good health. It's hard to complain about mild maladies when I remember how grateful I am to ride my bicycle every day, to wake and greet the day feeling alive and with energy, to feel sore muscles from games played with friends.

Life, how charming.

Comments

  1. dude this post is so awesome. there were no comments yet so I just thought you should know someone read this and appreciated it. I like your writing style too, it reminds me of how I talk to myself, like my inner thoughts/voice. I know that sounds weird, but I think you will know what I mean. basically, thank you and this totally made my day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts