Vintage Sewing: Simplicity 2498, a 1940s dress with bias ruffles, yoke, and a tiered, gathered skirt

Vintage Sewing Pattern Simplicity 2498; 1940's dress
I started sewing this dress back in 2014-- I think I bought the pattern on eBay, and can't remember when or where I picked up the blue seersucker fabric. I didn't have white fabric in my stash that was the right weight, so I went to Joann Fabrics for that, because it was the nearest fabric store at the time. 

Vintage Simplicity 2498





Bernina Ruffler Foot
Using the Bernina ruffler foot, I attached bias fabric with a finished edge with gathers, along the yoke of the bodice. One of the few notes I have about sewing this dress was how annoying it was to sew bias ruffles.



 A clean finish for the bodice neckline and center back-- you can see the interface along the fold-back button placket for the center back.


Not much has changed since 2014. I've hated hand sewing all my life (not sure why, since I like other handcrafts), so I used the blind hem attachment on my machine to tack down the button plackets, and for the hem as well.



Where the back bodice ends and attaches to the skirt, the dress has a beautifully inserted placket into a slit in the dress fabric. I had never sewn one of these before, and while it took a bit of time to understand the concept, once I sewed it in place and pressed, I was awed by the beauty of how it laid so nicely within the skirt. Call me a fan!


This dress is done and hanging in my sewing closet, unworn. I can't remember if I made any adjustments beyond grading out the bodice from bust down to waist like I always do, because I had intended to wear this dress once it was finished... and I'm pretty sure I didn't sew on the buttons and buttonholes until approximately 2016. At some point I might list this online for sale, because it's not my size, but I do love the style and could see myself wearing a dress in this style someday.

Comments

Popular Posts