Adieu

Dear friends and family,

My departure is soon arriving, only a month left in Utah, and while getting things in order I decided sending you all an update is something important to me. As some of you already know, I am moving in January to Perry Point, Maryland for a year-long AmeriCorps program. The program I am participating in-- NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps)-- dictates that I will be in MD for roughly a month, and at the end of the month I will be sent somewhere within my region to do service work. I am serving in the Eastern US region, which includes 17 states + gulf states + Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. The projects in which I will participate vary widely, and I (and the team I work with) will be moved around from place to place as needed...

"Service projects, which typically last from six to eight weeks, address critical needs in education, public safety, the environment, and other unmet needs. Members tutor students, construct and rehabilitate low-income housing, respond to natural disasters, clean up streams, help communities develop emergency plans, and address countless other local needs." -- NCCC website

As NCCC team members, we have been informed that our work will have a greater focus on disaster relief and recovery, translating into the high likelihood of us doing projects in the gulf states where cleanup from Hurricane Katrina is still needed.

For those that are interested, I have a blog that I frequently update with political rants, day-to-day happenings, and a lot of random stuff. This will become the place I document my work and travels and everything else for the next year, and it's a great way for you (especially family) to know what's going on. Some of you (mom & dad) might learn a lot about me by reading that crap.... Also, you will notice some hyperlinks on the right hand side of my blog page, including a website of my photos! I will try and update everything as frequently as possible.

My current life goals include: having fun, loving my family and friends, helping others, and learning about myself. I'll figure out the rest someday.

Sending love and best wishes,

Amanda


PS. I do plan on returning to school. I'm not a drop out, and yes I'm still without a major.

Comments

Popular Posts