Alternative Gifts

"I do what I can to help; if everyone put just one bean in a pot, soon, nobody would go hungry." --Gerald Robillard.

At Global Village Gifts, a non-profit, fair trade gift shop, we are selling shares from the Alternative Gift Market catalog, a compilation of humanitarian projects than need funding.

"The global mission of AGI is to send authentic, life-giving gifts to a needy world--gifts that build a partnership with people in crisis and that protect and preserve the earth's endangered environment--to nourish and sustain a more equitable and peaceful global community.
AGI is a nonprofit, interfaith agency. AGI provides education for people of all ages about global needs and raises funds each year in its Alternative Gift Markets and from individual donors to respond to those needs. Designated grants then are sent to the established international projects of several reputable nonprofit agencies for relief and development." -- Alt. Gift website


We tell our customers that somewhere in the catalog there is something that fits everyone, and while I'm not sure if that is true, there is definitely a project that suits me. Bikes for Women and Girls is a project aimed at raising money to send bicycles to women in Tanzania, enabling them to do their chores faster (eliminating hours of walking to gather water and wood), which in turn can lead to attainment of the jobs & education having been pushed to the wayside to procure basic necessities. Also, with the right equipment, a bicycle can become a vehicle to transport those in need of medical care.

I may not be rich, but I have a steady income. In the style of my Mormon upbringing, I plan to set aside 10% of my monthly income to be donated to someone/some place/some project that needs it more than I do. Even though my income level falls below the poverty line by US standards, I am rich in comparison with the rest of the world.

Comments

Popular Posts