Bike separation? I'm not ready!

Last weekend I spent a great evening with my bicycle. I pedaled my way up to green canyon, and luckily, with the tires that came on my Kona Dew Deluxe 2006 I had enough traction and support to ride along the dirt road up to the trail head. I followed the hill-filled bike ride with an even, uphill hike, and by the time I walked down, and then rode home, my legs were fairly exhausted.

After a month of use, I feel like I'm really getting to know the ins and outs of this bike. Because I purchased new instead of used, the chain has stretched a bit and I'm hoping that the tune up I just took it in for will solve the gear jumping problems; they'll probably take out a link or two, and it *should* be good to go. The gear shifters are alright (Shimano rapidfire), although it sometimes takes more than one try to shift up or down. Ultimately, I really enjoy this bike- the gears are great for hills, the disc brakes make me feel safe while riding through traffic, and it handles pretty well. It would be great if it weighed a bit less, but for the price I paid, I'm happy.

What I would choose differently? A more comfortable seat, lighter weight, and no toe overlap. I'm finally figuring out how to use my toe clips, and I'm thinking about upgrading to clipless pedals since I really see the benefits of a full pedaling cycle, versus exhausting my quads early on. And my ass, my poor ass. I finally adjusted and the bruising is almost a thing of the past.

As I mentioned earlier, I took the bike in for it's 30 day tune up (although I think it has been more like 40 days), and when the shop owner told me that I couldn't have it back until Friday, I nearly cried. Since purchasing the bike I have gone no longer than a day without riding, and imagining these next few days without it is disappointing. I really look forward to getting it back- the more I ride, the more I enjoy riding, and the more I enjoy riding, the more I will do it. This whole getting myself a bike as a reward for quitting smoking has really paid off. I can feel the difference in my lungs, my legs haven't been this strong in quite some time, and my endurance increases almost daily.

Now... I've added a regular road bike to my wish list. Maybe next summer I can train and participate in a few races....

Comments

Popular Posts